Scott Hurrey mentioned this the other day during our Technical Office hours... You can upgrade a 3000.x DVM using the same installer package that you use for a self-hosted system. This blog post will show you how easy that is, after a brief plug for our office hours. If you've not attended, office hours a great way to get answers to your questions and to network with other developers. The schedule is at the bottom of the page here: Blackboard Learn Developers
Here's what you do to upgrade your DVM. You will do all of your work as the vagrant user. Do not use root or bbuser.
- Stop Learn
- Download the installer for the version you want to upgrade to from Behind the Blackboard. Note this only works for Q2 2016 and later.
- For this example, I upgraded my DVM from 3000.1.1 to 3000.1.3 (Q2 2016 CU1 to Q2 2016 CU3)
- As the vagrant user, create the recommended installation directories.
- mkdir /usr/local/bbinstaller
- mkdir /usr/local/bbinstaller/3000_1_3/
- Create an installer.properties file. I've placed the full text for one that works for a DVM below.
- Place the installer.properties file in the /usr/local/bbinstaller directory.
- Make a copy of the license file. You MUST do this because the install will mess everything up if the installer.properties is pointing to a license file inside the blackboard directory that is being upgraded.
- cp /usr/local/blackboard/config/license/blackboard-license.xml /usr/local/blackboard-license-copy.xml
- chown vagrant /usr/local/blackboard-license-copy.xml
- Move the downloaded .zip installer file to the /usr/local/bbinstaller/3000_1_3/ directory
- The trick here is that on the DVM the /vagrant directory is the same directory as the host directory where you ran the vagrant up and vagrant ssh command. You place the .zip installer file into that directory, then on the DVM guest you can move it from into the installation directory.
- cd /usr/local/bbinstaller/3000_1_3/
- unzip learn-installer-3000.1.3-rel.70+214db31.zip
- Run the upgrade
- ./installer.sh -c /usr/local/bbinstaller/installer.properties
- Run PushConfig, which will also start the server.
- cd /usr/local/blackboard/tools/admin
That's it! Below are the contents of the installer.properties file that works for upgrading a DVM:
# DVM installer.properties for upgrade. First attempt was from Q2 2016 CU1 to CU3.
# Kauffman 2016.12.28
# cp /usr/local/blackboard/config/license/blackboard-license.xml /usr/local/blackboard-license-copy.xml
# chown bbuser /usr/local/blackboard-license-copy.xml
## these properties should not be modified manually ##
# just like the Windows upgrade, the Linux upgrade fails if you don't have these 3 dummy antarg lines
############## properties listed here can be modified ###############